Ashley and Debra Brunk, PhD, discuss how caffeine raises blood pressure and good alternatives to coffee for dealing with the 'afternoon slump' in the latest #AshWednesday
Promote healthy energy levels with
Jigsaw Electrolyte Supreme™ without the use of caffeine or sugar.
***Hint: It's a LOT cheaper than Starbuc... well, you already know that ;-)
Captions by Rev.com
- Hi everybody, I'm Ashley with Jigsaw Health. And today I'm here with Debra Brunk and in addition to being a PhD, she's also an integrative health nutritionist. Hi Debra.
- Hi Ash.
- So today Debra's gonna explain to us how and why caffeine raises blood pressure.
- Okay well, it's something people don't think about a lot. Usually, you go for caffeine and you want that hit of energy and the way that works is caffeine basically goes right into your nervous system and it gives you a boost and basically what it does is it stimulates your fight or flight response. So when that happens your heart starts beating a lot faster. Your blood vessels are gonna dilate, you're gonna get a lot more blood going out but in order for that to happen your blood pressure has to go up.
- Wow, that's really interesting, I mean, I, like I'm sure a lot of you, have had that jolt of caffeine when I needed it but I didn't realize some of the affects it might be having on my blood pressure or my nutrient levels.
- Yeah, you know, enough caffeine basically what you're doing is you are forcing your body to respond when it maybe doesn't really want to. There's a reason your body's tried. And so eventually, what can happen is you are depleting nutrients that are actually helping with the over all creation of energy so that's why you get this cyclical effect off caffeine.
- And the nutrients, I mean, a big part of that is electrolytes.
- Yep, electrolytes and you know, all of the vitamins and minerals really.
- Okay so with Mag SRT since it is a sustained release magnesium if you take it in the morning it gives you that kinda slow release overtime during the day so that your body can use that as energy.
- Yeah, definitely. One of the things that's really interesting about both Mag SRT and the Jigsaw Electrolytes is they're full of vitamins and minerals that are really important in the processes that you're body uses for making energy.
- So basically what you're doing is you're feeding your body what it needs to create energy on it's own rather than trying to use something to stimulate your body artificially.
- So we're not advocating to stop drinking coffee or that caffeine is the devil at all okay because I love my coffee just like anybody else but we're saying that over consumption of caffeine can take it's toll over time so maybe instead of going to Starbucks in the afternoon when you're feeling sluggish, you reach for an electrolyte supreme and go about your merry way. Try it out for yourself, hope you've enjoyed this episode of Ash Wednesday, thank you Debra and we'll see you next time.
- Hey guys, thanks so much for tuning in to this video. If you like it, please share it and we'll see you next week.