The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC) states that normal bowel frequency can range from 3 times a day to 3 times a week. The NDDIC suggests that bowel frequency less than 3 times a week can signify constipation. However, frequent elimination is a critical component of optimal health, and many healthcare professionals recommend bowel movements in the range of 1 to 3 times daily as part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle.
With occasional constipation, the stool is often smaller and drier than usual, which may cause pain during elimination. The feeling that the bowels are not completely emptied is also common. Constipation is often the body's way of saying it needs a little more fiber. It's also vital to stay hydrated on a daily basis to promote regularity.
Normal stool is 60 to 90% water. The high end of that range includes stool that is considered loose. Typically, the digestive system converts food into a liquid state. The digested particles then remain in that form throughout the digestive process until the fluids are absorbed back into the body from the colon, leaving semi-solid waste to be expelled. Loose stool occurs when the food passes through the digestive system quickly or when the colon is irritated by a certain food. Hormonal balance, probiotic balance, and other health challenges can also affect stool consistency.
Regardless, promoting regularity goes hand-in-hand with promoting overall wellness. Healthy, comfortable digestion and elimination are usually good indicators that the body is properly absorbing needed vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients—whether obtained from food or dietary supplements.
As part of the comprehensive program of nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle modification, you may want to consider some of the products listed below to help support the health of your bodily systems.
- Digestive Health – Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes: Specifically designed to promote balance in your digestive tract, support healthy immunity, and promoting regularity for immediate whole health effects.*
- Probiotic Supplements—Jigsaw Health's Essential Blend Probiotics supplement is a high-potency probiotic blend that helps maintain a healthy balance of intestinal flora and supports a healthy immune system response with a guaranteed minimum of 25 billion active, friendly bacteria including the patented L. acidophilus La-14. Probiotic supplements are critical for promoting overall healthy digestive system function and the body's ability to absorb and utilize nutrients.*
- Magnesium Supplements—Two out of three Americans run low on magnesium, mostly because of our diet. Supplementing with Magnesium can be especially important for those wishing to support adrenal health because of its role in helping to:
- Maintain blood pressure within normal limits.*
- Maintain healthy blood pressure/glucose levels.*
- Support energy production—magnesium is essential to ATP production: no magnesium, no energy!*
- Promote a healthy mood, balanced response to stress.*
- Promote healthy muscle tone and function.*
- Support healthy athletic recovery.*
Most magnesium products are not easily absorbed—and many function as a laxative. Jigsaw's Magnesium w/SRT® addresses both issues and is the number one product we recommend to those starting out on their road to wellness.
- Omega 3 + Vitamin D3 – A pure fish oil blend with powerful, heart-healthy EPA & DHA plus 5000 IU's of Vitamin D3 to provide critical whole health support throughout the body.*
- Mineral Vitamin Supplement – Magnesium w/SRT®, Calcium, Multi-Mineral, Activated B w/SRT®, Vitamin C w/SRT®, Antioxidant, and Omega-3 Fish Oil w/Vitamin D3: Start feeling your best with the essentials — vitamins, minerals, and healthy fatty acid your body may be craving.*
Source: "Definition and Facts for Constipation." The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, n.d. Web. 25 Mar. 2015.