Posted by Team Jigsaw on July 25, 2017
How much do you really know about Magnesium?
Steve Hanson (Jigsaw Advisory Board Member) reveals the results of a recent survey commissioned by Jigsaw Health to discover what people really know about Magnesium. The results might surprise you...
Want to learn more about Magnesium? Discover more about our favorite mineral HERE!
Transcript by Rev.com
-Hi everybody, I'm Ashley with Jigsaw Health, and today I'm here with Steve Hanson. He is a marketing expert in the nutrition industry and also part of Jigsaw Health's advisory board. Today we're gonna talk about magnesium. There are several references that show that 80% of Americans are deficient in magnesium. So Steve recommended that we run our own series of surveys to find out a little bit more. So can you explain to everyone what we did, what kind of surveys we did?
- Yeah, what we wanted to do is find out what did consumers know about magnesium. Were they aware of it, what it did? So what we did is we commissioned SurveyMonkey, and we did an online survey. We did two surveys, one in May and one in June, each with a thousand respondents to sort of find out the information about the market and awareness for magnesium.
- Right. So when you did these surveys, what did you find out about magnesium?
- We found out some really positive things about magnesium in what the respondents said, and then also some negative things or some ways for improvement related to magnesium. What we found is that people and the respondents knew what magnesium was. 93% of the respondents said, "Yes, I'm aware of magnesium."
- That's good.
- That's great. But when we sort of drilled down to see what they knew about it, and we specifically asked a couple questions. One is, what did they know, the health conditions associated with magnesium. 65% of the respondents said they did not know.
- Wow, that's a big number.
- That's a big number. And then when we gave them a list of conditions associated with magnesium benefiting for, for health conditions, and 35% of the respondents said either, "I don't know," or "Other"
- Versus picking some of the other known conditions.
- Yeah, the known conditions such as tension, and cramping, and being regular, and energy levels.
- So that says sort of that, well, yeah, people are aware of magnesium, but they really don't know the benefits associated with magnesium.
- So the magnesium industry has done a very poor job at explaining to consumers on a broad basis what magnesium does, and why we need it, why it's so essential for our bodies. So what do we plan to do with these results and what we know about this big hole that seems to be education on magnesium?
- We need to do an education campaign so that we make this essential mineral truly essential. And by becoming essential, we need to have the people that are taking magnesium or going to take magnesium understand what it does. So from Jigsaw Health's standpoint, we're going to, we're developing a series of educational videos that will be utilized to educate people interested in knowing more about magnesium to really understand what it is, what it does, how it's useful in the body.
- Why we need it.
- So basically Jigsaw, we have made this our mission to help educate the public on magnesium. So keep an eye out for many magnesium pieces coming your way. You're gonna want to see this information, you're gonna want to hear it, learn about it, and share it with people that you care about. So thank you so much. We will see you next time. Hey guys, thanks so much for tuning in to this video. If you like it, please share it, and we'll see you next week.