Posted by Team Jigsaw on September 12, 2017
How is MagSRT® different from other Magnesium supplements?
Learn the story behind America's #1 Time-Release Magnesium, MagSRT®, from Pat Sullivan (Jigsaw Health Co-Founder & Product Formulator) on the latest #AshWednesday.
Over the next few weeks, we will be sending some of our favorite #AshWednesday interviews with the origin stories behind our top products.
Want to catch up on the #AshWednesday Series? Visit our page HERE.
Make sure you're meeting the RDI 400mg of Magnesium everyday with Jigsaw's MagSRT® .
Transcript by Rev.com
- Hi, I'm Ashley Leroux, and I'm here with Pat Sullivan, co-founder and product formulator of all the Jigsaw products. Today, I want to talk a little bit about Magnesium with SRT. We know from your book, Wellness Piece by Piece, that you have dealt with, or had dealt with some chronic reoccurring health issues since way back even in the seventies. I'm curious as to how you found out about magnesium and how you got out of that.
- Well, because I was really, really sick, I was highly motivated to learn everything I could that might contribute to why I was sick. I read every nutrition book I could get my hands on and every one of them, at least one part of the book would cover magnesium. As I read the symptoms of magnesium deficiency. I could check each one of them off and say I got that, I got that, I got 'em all. So I started taking magnesium and I learned very quickly that there was a major problem with magnesium. It is a laxative.
- So it caused a lot of problems. Even taking, for me, small amounts of magnesium. So I theorized that maybe if I could get magnesium in a sustained release that maybe I could then take more magnesium. So I did some more research and found that there were two on the market. So I began to try both of those, and there were a couple of things about each one that I didn't like. For instance, Slo-Mag. I didn't like that it had calcium with it. Now people think that calcium, aw, gee, that's great for ya. But we all get actually too much calcium. And the more calcium intake, the more magnesium you need because magnesium controls calcium.
- So I didn't want to take calcium. The other thing was, it had carnauba wax in it. I just didn't like the idea of putting what I used to wax my car in here. So, I tried a different one. I went to Mag-Tab SR and there were a couple things I didn't like about it. It also had carnauba wax and it had yellow die #10. It was like, things that I just didn't want to put in my body. When we started Jigsaw Health, I had the opportunity to make magnesium exactly the way I wanted to take it. We started with the way we did the SRT, the sustained release, using cellulose, modified cellulose, croscarmelose sodium.
- Wow. Those sound like kind of scary. I don't even now what those mean.
- Well, they sound scary but they're really not scary. All they are is plant-based fibers that break down at different times in the body releasing magnesium in a sustained release.
- Okay, okay. So they just sound scary, but they are actually natural on their plant-based.
- That's correct. It also allowed us to use a totally different and far better form of magnesium, which is dimagnesium malate from Albion. The reason I like that was I was also taking in addition to these, malic acid, because malic acid is really useful in helping the body form energy. One of the active ingredients you get here is malic acid. In addition, I was also taking three extra B vitamins from three different bottles that were the active forms of B vitamins. Now the reason I was taking that is because those were always there. Wherever magnesium did anything, they were part of the reaction.
- To help it absorb better.
- So to make magnesium work the best way it could possibility work in every circumstance, those three B vitamins needed to be there. So that's why we made Mag SRT the way we made it.
- So you don't have to take a bunch of different stuff. It's all in the formula.
- All one dogone pill and it allowed me to throw six bottles away.
- Oh. That's fantastic. So the bottom line is, buy a little more of this, and you'll buy a little less of this.
- Yes, thankfully.
- Hey, one question for you.
- Got Mag?
- Yes, indeed.